Repairs & Restoration Work
|François Bignon in first floor Workshop at Moseley Violins|
Moseley Violins offers an established, repair and restoration service for all players of bowed stringed instruments. We offer our skills, help and support to students, teachers, and professional musicians for their specific needs.
Our combined experience in the trade will ensure you of the highest standards and aim to obtain the full potential of your instrument. We guarantee our workmanship and have your instrument’s interest at heart as well as your own.
Each item brought to us for any potential work will be assessed carefully before hand. For major restorations it is sometimes necessary to review the planning and costing of the necessary work.
In each instance we will believe it is best wherever possible to maintain its original and individual qualities.
INSTRUMENTS FOR SALE : PREVIEW FROM THE WORKSHOP:
The following instruments are under restoration in our workshop and will be available for sale upon completion. Please contact us if there is an instrument of interest, and we would be pleased to discuss the restoration work , fitting options, and prices with you.
MV3/ 05 4/4 Violin c1860-1880 German Origin/Tyrolese Branded "N. Chr
Full restoration in process
MV3/ 84A Full size violin of German origin C 1910-1920, branded Alphonse
Cary Newbury Stradivarius on back of scroll
Restoration: Glue and reinforce f hole/lower bout crack to front; reglue fingerboard
MV3/ 69C Late19c Lowendall Violin
Restoration: Rebuild fornt corner and edge
clean and restore varnish to fornt
French Cousinon 1920
Restoration: Sound-post crack on back- soundpost crack oval patch
|MV3/90B Violin Branded Duke, London, below button. 35.70
cm LOB Restoration bush peg holes and refit new pegs an
58a Medio Fino: Restoration:fingerboard and setting up.
|MV3/ 84B Full size violin of German origin branded with
the Louis Lowendall logo Dresden C 1890-1900
Restoration : Neck re-set and setting up.
92A Brescian 3.4 Violin with inlay
69D Dulcis & Fortis
|MV3 52 3/4 Vln Berini|
- Routine check -up and advice (recommended yearly) *
- Estimates and quotes for repair & restoration. *
- Gluing of seams/ parts/ fractures
- Minor aesthetics and touching in of varnish, cleaning, etc)
- Following an initial assessment, emergency repairs and/or fine adjustments will be carried out if at all possible on the day or within reasonable time.
- For the gluing of seams and fractures, it is best to leave the instrument with us overnight in order for it to set completely.
Setting Up, Fittings, & Adjustments
- New fittings (i.e. bridge, sound-post, pegs, nut, endpin, etc)
- Tonal adjustments & correction of existing fittings
- Structural conservation (i.e.; new edges, corners, peg- hole bushing, etc
- Major structural reconstruction (i.e.; new bass bar, reinforcing of fractures, sound-post patch, neck graft, edging, etc)
- Conversion to Baroque
- Left hand playing
Fretted Instruments (lutes, guitars, mandolin, banjo, etc.)
Major structural damage, re-fretting rebuilding, action adjustments to set-up neck resetting, refinishing.
You are welcome to contact us by appointment to visit our workshop.